Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Musings on Pie

Oh beautiful pie with your golden crush and tart interior. You fill me up on cold mornings. How I love your hint of cinnamon and nutmeg. Your crumb topping fills me with joy. Raspberry seeds between my teeth do not distract from my happiness at seeing you in my dish.

Filling:
Mix of fruits - about 6 cups worth(what ever you have in the freezer, really)
Sugar - about 1/2 cup
cornstarch and flour mixed - 1/2 cup again
Pinches of cinnamon and nutmeg and cloves

Mix all the goodness in a bowl and make sure the fruits are well coated. Divide evenly into two pie shells. (We cheated and used pre-made, but home made would be better)

Topping:
Wodge of Butter or Margarine
Scoop of Brown Sugar
Enough flour to make crumbles
Handful of Oatmeal

Mix all together to make crumblies. Put the crumblies on top of the pie. Bake at 350C until the top is nice and golden and the juices are dripping out. Cool and eat with vanilla ice cream. Or, like me, eat it for breakfast three days in a row.

Sorry for the lack of actual measurements, but Music Girl and I threw this pie together on the weekend. It turned out pretty darned good.

Summer Pudding by Grevel Lindop, in Liverpool Accents:
Seven Poets and a City (Liverpool University Press, 1996)

a taste of Summer Pudding:
add a quarter of redcurrants;
gently seethe in orange juice
for six or seven minutes with some sugar,
giving the pan a ritual shake from time to time,
inducing a marriage of those fine,
compatible tastes

No comments: