Friday, February 04, 2005

General Update with Funereal Recap

Well, TV Free week got pushed back because of all the crap going on right now. I am starting again tomorrow. The whole weekend, no TV. Can I do it? Stay tuned.

If you read my previous post you know that the Husband's Grandmother passed away on Sunday. Wednesday there was visitation from 2-4 and 7-9. The Husband had a test at school and so I picked him up at 2 and we went to get his suit. I didn't like the suit at first (he picked it without me!) But I warmed up to it.

We made it out to the funeral home by about 3:15 and joined the huge line up of his family. The Husband's family is huge, his grandmother had 5 kids and they had 14 kids. And they have 9 kids. Plus spouses and significant others. It adds up to a heck of a lot of people. And they all went back to his Aunt's house for dinner.

The second visitation was really crowded. I don't think I have ever shaken that many hands in one day. The only other funeral where I have been family was my grandmothers and we didn't have a visitation like that. It was nice to see so many people come out to pay their respects.

The Husband's sister and niece spent the night at our house. That futon we bought is really paying off. We all slept in the next morning and left about noon for the service. The Husband was a pall bearer and we needed to get there early to find out what he needed to do. It was a really beautiful service. Grandma's oldest daughter said a few words, and a soloist sang a hymn that was sung at Grandma's graduation from nursing school. We all sat in the side room and tried to keep the kids from squirming too much.

I rode in the car with my in-laws to the cemetery, the Husband rode up front with the rest of the pall bearers. Grandma planned very well in having exactly 6 grandsons. The Minister said a few more words and then we went to the church for sandwiches and cake. We had the traditional church sandwiches, egg salad, salmon and ham salad. I got a piece of chocolate chip banana bread with cream cheese icing.

We all regrouped at the Aunt's house and hung out for about 5 hours. I know I am finally used to this family when I can spend two whole days with them and not get overwhelmed. It has taken me 8 years to get to this point, but dag gum! I can do it! I don't even mind all the orders to have a baby soon! Geez, I must be mellowing in my old age.

For me the most memorable moments of the two days will be getting punched in the face by my niece (she's two), watching my husband carry his grandmothers coffin, the general cheers that went up as a longtime bachelor cousin from out west announced that he has a serious girl friend.

Times like this almost make me want to have lots of kids so they will always have family around.


But not quite.

No comments: