Thursday, April 14, 2005

Hey Dad!

This weekend is my Dad's Birthday. I am heading up to visit on Friday and staying until Sunday when I have to come back for work. The plan is to help him do some deconstruciton on the house and to take him out for lunch. He will be 58 this year, 30 years and 5 months older than me.

Dad and I have had our differences over the years but we are good now. It's was mostly because I was a pain in the arse teenager and now that I have grown out of it things are much better. I have even come around to his way of thinking on several key issues. Peanut butter and onion sandwiches are not - in fact - gross, despite what I maintained for many years. However I am still strong on the peanut butter and honey fight. Honey goes on top, not underneath. So there, Dad!

My Dad taught me many things; how to camp and canoe, how to drywall and roof, how to wire a socket and how to use a table saw. Oh, and how to deal with weird people. Dad is a weird kind of guy. The salt in the kitchen is labeled NaCl and there is a jar of iron filings in the laundry room. Growing up I was embarrassed by my family a lot. The canoes in the carport, the weird plants in the lawn, but looking back I had a really great time. I was just too silly to appreciate it back then.

So thanks Dad, you are a great guy and a wonderful father. I hope you stick around for a long time to come so you can be a really weird guy and great teacher for any Grandkids that may come along. (not right now though!)

Happy Birthday Male Parental Unit!

No comments: