Thursday, March 16, 2006

Blood Orange Sherbet


Blood Orange Sherbet
Originally uploaded by Pookiefatcat.

I bought 4 beautiful Blood Oranges at the Grocery store last week. 'Tis the Season for gorgeous citrus and I couldnt resist. I wanted to make something fun with they but something that was not too complicated. (I swear, I have LESS energy now that I don't work as much)

For the Sorbet:
Juice of 4 Blood oranges (it came to about 1.5 cups)
Juice of 1/2 lime (I used this to cut the sweetness a little, Plus I had it left over.)
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup water

I boiled the water and sugar together in the microwave with some large peices of the orange zest. I wanted to get the flavour from them without having the zest in the finished product.

After that it was simply a matter of mixing the juice and the simple syrup and letting the mixture shill in the fridge for a while. I froze it in my Ice Cream maker for about 20 minutes and popped it into the freezer in a tupperware.

We had it for dessert and the Husband raved. I liked it a lot too.

I now have a bag of Key Limes in the fruit bowl awaiting a similar fate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic, Christine!

Thanks for reminding me that it's blood orange season!