Monday, March 06, 2006

Dulce de Leche

The other night I made the Cheaters version of Dulce de Leche. The one where you boil the can of sweetened condensed milk for a few hours and it goes all brown and gooey. I was afraid the whole time that it was going to explode and leave my kitchen coated in milky caramel-ey goo. I spent the whole time as far away from the kitchen as I could get.


But it didn’t explode. Although it came out a little chunky-er than I expected. It tasted great though. The extreme cloying sweetness of the condensed milk now had a really great caramel note to it. I decided to try whipping it in the mixer with a little water to see if I could get it to the texture I wanted.
Here are the results.

Oooey and Gooey and Smoooooooth. I confess to eating several spoonfulls and licking the mixer.

I am making this as part of my master plan for the next installment of SHF (dairy!) I won’t tell the rest. It’s a secret!

No comments: