Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Rosemary Loaf Cake

Last night I made a cake. I had been trying to get around to making this cake for quite a while, but the Universe was conspiring against me. Yesterday I finally got 'er done.

This is the rosemary loaf cake from Nigella's - How to be a Domestic Goddess. I have been eyeing for a while. I make the Lemon Syrup Loaf from the same book and get raves, so I thought this sounded interesting.


250g Butter
200g brown sugar
3 large eggs
210g self raising flour
90g plain flour
1 tsp vanilla
10 cm stalk of rosemary chopped
4 Tbsp milk Sugar for Sprinkling

Heat the oven to 375C. Cream the butter and sugar. Add the vanilla and eggs beating until well combined. Add the flour and then the rosemary and the milk. Pour into a loaf pan and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for about an hour or until done.

I guess I didn't use enough rosemary or something. This cake is good, but the rosemary isn't really coming through. Wont stop us from eating it though. I made it in two smaller loaf pans so I think I will take one to work and see what they think. Two cakes are probably too much for two people.

I might make this again, but I think I need to wait a while for our rosemary bush to bounce back. It's still a baby and it got a bit of a hair cut.

No comments: